Let me preface this article with a warning. Everything I am about to post could be considered rumor or coincidence but that doesn’t mean it is not true. Ever since Blizzard’s Product Slate was leaked and showed the name “Titan” with an anticipated release in Q4 of 2013, people have been speculating about this new game. We already know that Blizzard is officially working on a new “secret MMO” project.
First, let me give you some insider information that I received over a year ago from someone inside the gaming industry. This person does not work for Blizzard but does have a career position at a major gaming company. This person told me three things that he knew about the game that he learned from friends inside Blizzard.
1. It will be an FPS based MMO (at minimum in part).
2. It will most likely be set in space.
3. The design has a “cyber-punkish” feel.
First, I know what you are thinking. WTF is “cyber-punkish?” I know, I thought the same thing and honestly it could mean an infinite number of things. However, this information could be useful in the conspiracy theory which I will explain below. Let me also point out that this information is definitely second hand to me so take the above with a grain of salt.
The Conspiracy! Is Blizzard’s new MMO ‘Titan’ really Halo MMO?
Ok, let me go through the slew of coincidences that we have.
1. The original Halo MMO that was being designed by Ensemble Studios was code named ‘Titan.’ Also, Ghostcrawler (Blizzard Game Developer) happened to be a former employee of said company. Blizzard’s secret MMO is titled ‘Titan.’ Coincidence? Maybe.
2. In February 2007, an episode of 30 Rock entitled Hardball aired and in the credits it said, “Promotional Consideration Furnished by Blizzard Entertainment.” What makes this interesting is that no Blizzard products were featured. No Warcraft. No Starcraft. No Diablo. No World of Warcraft. However, Halo was featured in the show! So Blizzard was advertising for Halo in 2007? This was right before word got out that Blizzard was working on a brand new MMO and they started hiring “Science-Fiction Texture Artists.” Coincidence? Maybe.
3. As we know Bungie and Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) are in a 10 year partnership and some terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Coincidence? Maybe.
4. Jeff Kaplan, a Blizzard employee was quoted as saying “All of those combined” to the following question in an MTV Multiplayer Interview: Will the next Blizzard MMO be “sci-fi, near-future, post-apocalyptic, or historical?” Now, all of the above would definitely apply to Halo. Coincidence? Maybe
Taken one at a time, these are just mere coincidences. However, combine them all and you have a legitimate conspiracy on your hands! So? Are all of these mere coincidences? Is Blizzard planting these seeds to troll everyone? Or maybe, just maybe, the secret is out and Blizzard’s new MMO is a Halo MMO! All I know is, what my insider friend told me matches all the conspiracies listed and goes hand in hand with a potential Halo MMO. For now, only those in Activision-Blizzard (and maybe Bungie) know the truth, but we are free to speculate.
I want to give credit to GBTV and CrossEyedGamer for their investigative reporting which I made use of in this article. Keep up the good work guys.